Part of the New Media 101/Blogging 101 series…
A quick clip from this 45 minute presentation — The Why, What and How of Blogging.
Why do you do it? we;;. first of all, to feed the search engines. My joke is — you may hear the term Search Engine Optimization. there are company’s out there — some of you may actually be doing this for people — of where you try to improve their search engine ranking. My joke is, my method of Search Engine Optimization is to bury Google in data. Ok? If you search on Douglas E. Welch. If you search on Doug Welch. I am the first hit in Google for Douglas Welch. I am the second hit for Doug Welch. That is a pretty common name. I know, because I see all the other Doug Welch’s that pop up. I dont’ do any gaming. I don’t do anything special. I don’t really thing about it that much, but what I do do is when I have something to say, I make sure it gets on one of my blogs. I put it out there. Google indexes it. It knows more about me because I put more out there. That actually is one of your first goals in a blog. It is to simply get more information out there. Why? Visibility for what you do and how well you do it.
Previously on New Media 101/Blogging 101:
- Video: New Media 101: What are search engines looking for?
- New Media 101: Why update a web site regularly?
- New Media 101: Douglas E. Welch Segment from “Toot Your Own Horn: Self-Promotion In The Digital Age”
- New Media 101: A Blog is a Template for Your Web Site
- New Media 101: Why don’t we update our web sites?
- New Media 101: Where do you find content? from New Media Question Time
- New Media 101: Use New Media to Gain Visibility
- New Media 101: Marketing Your New Media Projects
- New Media 101: What makes a podcast unique?
- New Media 101: Have your own home base
- New Media 101: Basic New Media Gear
- New Media 101: Small business should teach their customers
- New Media 101: Provide Behind the Scenes Information
- New Media 101: You are an expert! from “Blogging and Content Creation”
- New Media 101: A Reason for Podcasting from “New Media Question Time”
- Blogging 101: Who you follow is more important…
- Blogging 101: Don’t throw away your content
- Blogging 101: The most important reason to blog
- Blogging 101: The beginning