New Media Gear 19: Premium microphone power supply with 9v power
Last week I posted a call for recommendations/answers for connecting my existing set of laveliere mics to my new camcorder (mentioned in last week’s New Media Gear post). While my Zoom H2 has a Plug-In Power mode, which boosts the signal from these mics, the camcorder does not provide this power and the mics did not work. Since I had purchased this camcorder specially because it had an external mic input, I needed to find the proper way to boost this signal without adding any noise.
Sound Professionals: Premium microphone power supply with 9v power
My audio expert friend, Michael, led me to this microphone power supply/pre-amp and it appears to work very well. Connecting this between the mics and the camcorder powers the mic and posts the signal properly and with very little noise.
This will now allow me to record lav mic audio directly to the camera, removing the need to record on an external recorder and sync the audio during the editing process. This sync isn’t really difficult, but it does make for extra work if it really isn’t necessary for the project.
Previously on New Media Gear:
- Canon VIXIA HF R400 HD 53x Image Stabilized Optical Zoom Camcorder and 3.0 Touch LCD
- Blue Microphones Icicle XLR to USB Mic Converter/Mic Preamp
- Peter Lythgoe of Zzipp and Co. Podcast from Weymouth, UK (Part 3 of 3)
- Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone
- Peter Lythgoe of Zzipp and Co. Podcast from Weymouth, UK (Part 2 of 3)
- Charles McFall, Co-host “Success Freaks”
- Peter Lythgoe of Zzipp and Co. Podcast from Weymouth, UK (Part 1 of 3)
- Daniel J. Lewis of The Audacity to Podcast and more
- Brian Herbert of the Indy Autographs Podcast and Hoosier State Sports Show
- Dan Hughes of In The Treasure Corner and others
- Zoom H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder
- Charley Hays
- Chuck Tomasi of Technorama
- Jack “Boom Goes The Dynamite” Heikle
- Mike Phillips from MikePhillips.me and Computers 2K Now podcast
- Clay Dugger of The Righteous Dude’s Dudecast
- Richard Cleveland of Naked Ape Productions
- Douglas E. Welch – Career Opportunities Podcast
Thanks for posting this. I was looking for something awhile back that could raise the output of a headset mic to line level but didn’t find anything. This might actually do the trick.
Cool! Let me know if it works out for you.