New Food: Chicken Potato Veg Tray Bake from SortedFood.com
If you subscribe to my Pinterest page, my @douglaswelch Twitter account or my Google+ feed, you know that I am always finding recipes I want to try. This series, New Food, will highlight some of those finds as we make them for the first time in our own kitchen. Then, I’ll report back to you on the results — for better or worse! — Douglas
Chicken Potato Veg Tray Bake
I discovered Sorted (Sortedfood.com) when they became part of Jamie Oliver’s Food Tube network on YouTube. I have made several great discoveries there and the guys at Sorted not only have great food, but they also have great presentation in their shows. Check them out on YouTube.
Since Sorted has several videos on various “tray bakes”, I would guess that this is a phrase and meal that is common in the UK. It is so simple and makes a great idea for a relatively quick and easy evening meal. It is basically chopping and roasting. It lends itself to nearly any combination of veg, so you can feel free to pick your favorites and whatever happens to be coming out of the shops or your garden during any particular season. Sorted also has a meatball tray bake that we all be trying vey soon, I am sure.
I did our tray bake on a large half sheet pan so that there was plenty of room to speed out the meat and veg so that it could get a little brown and crispy along the edges. Their original recipe calls for whole chicken breast, but I preferred to chop the chicken great into small cubes so that you would get a portion of meat and veg in each serving. My adaptation of their recipe is below.
Chicken Potato Veg Tray Bake
- medium white onion, sliced and separated into shreds
- two fistfuls of new potatoes, diced into medium chunks
- two sweet potatoes, diced into medium chunks
- 1 cup chopped carrots (or use whole baby carrots)
- shot of olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, diced into medium to large chunks
- salt, pepper and some creole spice mix
- ½ a bulb of garlic
- Sliced lemons and lemon juice
- preheat the oven to 400F
- peel and slice online into thin slices, separate into shred and spread over oiled tray
- scrub the potatoes, dice into medium to large pieces, toss in the oil with some salt, pepper and creole spice.
- lay onions, potatoes, carrots and garlic on a roasting tray and roast for about 20 minutes in the oven.
- prepare the chicken breasts by cutting away any fat or sinew, spicing with salt, pepper and creole seasoning, then dice into bit-sized pieces.
- take the potatoes (still only half cooked) out of the oven and scatter the roasting tray with the chicken, lemon slices and lemon juice.
- stick the tray back into the oven for about 20 minutes until the chicken and veg are cooked through.
Previously on New Food:
- Fried Radicchio with Chicken Breast – Leftover Mashup
- Radicchio Risotto
- Soft Pumpkin Ginger Cookies
- Video: Making Sparking Fruit Juice
- Cornflake Crusted Chicken Tenders
- Chocolate Porter Cake
- Slow Cooker Jambalaya
- Lentil and Sausage Stew
- Slim Scalloped Potatoes and Ham
- Sweet and Spicy Bacon Chicken
- Parmesan Paprika Potatoes