I know it is impossible to say with this without sounding impossibly naive and even selfish, but I have to say it anyway — there are times in my life when I feel distinctly unappreciated. There are even times I don’t appreciate myself that much. I fill with self doubt and the lack of appreciation from others feeds into that hole, digging it deeper and deeper. Self-confidence falters and falls and I begin to wonder why I do anything that I do, why I share anything I share, why I write anything I write. Publicly and personally this feeling dogs me.
The most important part of self-confidence, though, Is respecting yourself and appreciating yourself and your work. To truly do and be our best we must find ways of being self-supporting and self-confident. That said, a little outside validation can go a long way towards helping us in this endeavor. While our own intrinsic drives are most important, without some extrinsic rewards, it can be very difficult to maintain your energy. This seems to be my largest problem in life and work — running out of energy to sustain myself.
I think those who are able to maintain an endless supply of intrinsic motivations certainly have a leg up in the world. There are burdens and issues with this. Too deeply convinced of our own specialness, intelligence or artfulness, people can fall into arrogance, over-confidence and even maliciousness. Like everything in life, it is all a fine balance, a dance, that we must perform as gracefully as we can.
So, like most, I fall into cycles of up and down, in and out, hopeful and hopeless and must deal the best I can. If the depths of times, I often think about stopping all I do, crawling into a dark cave and stopping these feeble attempts to grow and better myself and share my thoughts with others.
And yet, I can’t. I still have these intrinsic desires to do all of these things, no matter how my feelings rise and fall. It can be maddening sometimes — like a lunatic shouting into the night — but I can never imagine, even in the darkest moments, NOT doing what I do, writing what I write, sharing what I share. It is an intrinsic drive in my own life that I cannot — and I think — would not be without, even if I could decide.
So, I share this with all of you in hopes you gain a better understanding of both me and yourself. We are who we are. We do what we do, even if we don’t always understand why. This is probably what brings about all this confusion in our lives. A human frailty? Perhaps, but also a definitive part of being human that cannot be avoided.
Previously on End of the Day:
- Life keeps piling up – End of the Day for july 25, 2014
- Working in a coal mine…on Minecraft! – End of the World for July 24, 2014
- Juggling, projects and life – End of the Day for July 23, 2014
- It can be difficult to ask for help… and money – End of the Day for July 22, 2014
- Walking a path that, perhaps, was not the path for us – End of the Day for July 21, 2014
- An evening dinner with friends in the garden – End of the Day for July 20, 2014
- Brush up your (Independent) Shakespeare (Company) Tonight! – End of the Day for July 19, 2014
- Support your local brewer – End of the Day for July 18, 2014
- What makes the world suddenly turn – End of the Day for July 17, 2014
- Making my way in a new career – End of the Day for July 16, 2014
- Do you like? Do your share? What’s the difference? – End of the Day for July 15, 2014
- Record everything you do – End of the Day for July 14, 2014
- A Day of “Rest” – End of the Day for July 13, 2014
- A Tiring Day, but a Great Day! – End of the Day for July 12, 2014
- Lend a helping hand by organizing an unconference – End of the Day for July 11, 2014
- Hiding your light under a bushel – End of the Day for July 10, 2014
- Those who love confrontation and conflict – End of the Day for July 9, 2014
- Procrastination only hurts you and your projects – End of the Day for July 8, 2014
- When it rains, it pours — End of the Day for July 7, 2014
- The time has come…to launch a new (media) career – End of the Day for July 6, 2014
- The Future isn’t coming…it’s here! – End of the Day for July 5, 2014
- A Contrary Country – End of the Day for July 4, 2014
- The 4th of July, 1776 – End of the Day for July 3, 2014
- A night out at the Hollywood Bowl – End of the Day for July 2, 2014
- End of the Day for June 2014
- End of the Day for May 2014
- End of the Day for April 2014
- End of the Day for March 2014
- End of the Day for February 2014
- End of the Day for January 2014