Writing a bit early today. By the time you read this we will probably just be returning from tonight’s performance of Twelfth Night by the Independent Shakespeare Company of Los Angeles down in the Old Zoo at Griffith Park. These shows have become and annual tradition with us and we try to catch every show each season. This year the shows are Twelfth Night, Taming of the Shrew and a combined musical and theater night at the end of the Summer. Look to my Twitter and Facebook feeds for some shots from our visit tonight.
The shows are always free, you need only bring a blanket or chair (along with dinner, drinks and snacks, if you wish) kick back on the grass and enjoy the show. It is a great — and cheap — way to spend an evening with theater under the stars (and often with coyotes howling in the background). I must say the coyotes lent a nice touch during Macbeth last year!
We have been bringing Joe since he was quite young. It was great as he could play with toys on the blanket if he got too bored early on. Of course, this evening he is bringing a girlfriend to the event. Ah, how time does fly! Friends are joining us tonight, too, as we always encourage people to get out an enjoy these shows.
Bring a jacket, as the canyon can get a little chilly at night. If you want to sit close to the stage, bring a blanket only. Chairs of any height are restricted to areas further back from the stage to allow everyone a clear view. There is ample free parking in Griffith Park, but there is a bit of a walk up to the theater area itself in the Old Zoo. Handicapped and the elderly can receive a ride up via the ISCA shuttle, I believe. Bring a flashlight, or your cell phone, to light the way back to your car at the end of the show.
My Places LA video from the 2012 season
Previously on End of the Day:
- Support your local brewer – End of the Day for July 18, 2014
- What makes the world suddenly turn – End of the Day for July 17, 2014
- Making my way in a new career – End of the Day for July 16, 2014
- Do you like? Do your share? What’s the difference? – End of the Day for July 15, 2014
- Record everything you do – End of the Day for July 14, 2014
- A Day of “Rest” – End of the Day for July 13, 2014
- A Tiring Day, but a Great Day! – End of the Day for July 12, 2014
- Lend a helping hand by organizing an unconference – End of the Day for July 11, 2014
- Hiding your light under a bushel – End of the Day for July 10, 2014
- Those who love confrontation and conflict – End of the Day for July 9, 2014
- Procrastination only hurts you and your projects – End of the Day for July 8, 2014
- When it rains, it pours — End of the Day for July 7, 2014
- The time has come…to launch a new (media) career – End of the Day for July 6, 2014
- The Future isn’t coming…it’s here! – End of the Day for July 5, 2014
- A Contrary Country – End of the Day for July 4, 2014
- The 4th of July, 1776 – End of the Day for July 3, 2014
- A night out at the Hollywood Bowl – End of the Day for July 2, 2014
- End of the Day for June 2014
- End of the Day for May 2014
- End of the Day for April 2014
- End of the Day for March 2014
- End of the Day for February 2014
- End of the Day for January 2014