Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
If you’e ever flown an airplane — of you’ve ever piloted a boat — you’ll know that you have your bearing on your chart that says I want to go there, but you also know, especially in an airplane which is three dimensional, you’re never on that bearing. Wind is pushing you around. Waves are pushing you around. You may have to go around obstacles. You’re constantly correcting that course and it’s in that correction that the concept of a compass came to me. I thought, “Oh, you have to have that bearing. You have to know where you want to head,” because truth be told, as we all know, reality has a way of rearing its ugly head and you can never go directly where you want to go. You can’t become the CEO of that Fortune 500 company overnight. You’re going to have to plot a course to that position. And that’s what it’s like. You’ll constantly be moving from job to job from opportunity to opportunity and correcting your course, but if you don’t know where you’re going, you’re never going to get there.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com