It’s Ok to Think About Opportunities from Using the Career Compass to Find Your Work and Career [Audio] (0:54)
Read the book
Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
People tend to think that just talking about an opportunity means they’re accepting it and I have to talk them down from the ledge and say, “No. No. No. It’s just an opportunity. Why wouldn’t you go meet with that person? Why wouldn’t you go and have coffee with that person? Why wouldn’t you talk about this opportunity?” Yes, it might be totally — I got asked once to go on a tour through Japan with a blues guitarist as his harmonica player. Well, I didn’t do that professionally. I did it as a hobby, but events arise. It didn’t happen, but you know, events arose. I had to really think about that for a while. I hadn’t ever thought of that. What a weird thing and it scared me and I wanted to say “No, no, no, no”, but I had to say, “No. Why can’t I talk about it.” In this case, it didn’t happen. Lots of opportunities are going to happen, but you don’t want to be the one turning away that opportunity that is going to change your life forever.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com
* A portion of each sale from Amazon.com directly supports our blogs
** Many of these books may be available from your local library. Check it out!