Time For Some Hard Thinking from Using the Career Compass to Find Your Work and Career [Audio] (1:04)
Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
Working through the compass requires some hard thinking. This is something I often on the readers of my career column, Career Opportunities, to do. They hate that word. I get that feedback from them.
“Oh oh, he said ‘hard thinking’ again.”
Because that’s often the most important thing you have to think about are those things that are difficult — that are hard to think about. What do you want? How do you balance life and career? How do you decide what you want to do? How do you decide, even whenever everyone else is telling you no, that you want to say Yes to something? Hard thinking.
Beyond that, most people don’t think at all. We talked about, I talked about earlier about the fact the people often just get pushed from job to job.
“Well, here’s a job, oh, I need a new job. Ooooh, that one’s available. Ok, I’ll take that. That one’s available. I’ll take that one.” You wander out here in the woods and wonder “how did I get out there? How did I get to where I am today?”
And that is exactly what will happen if you don’t do some hard thinking and some conscious thought about what you want to do.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com
* A portion of each sale from Amazon.com directly supports our blogs
** Many of these books may be available from your local library. Check it out!