Evaluating Opportunities with the Compass from Using the Career Compass to Find Your Work and Career [Audio] (0:54)
Read the book
Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
Because that’s how opportunities happen, Serendipity walks up with a baseball bat. “PING” and something you’ve never thought of — or 2 things combined — which is whole other talk that I give about how things bumping up against each other — interest bumping up against each other — suddenly spur entirely new careers and everything else. When you use the Career Compass you can say, “Ok. Here;s this opportunity. What are the elements of this opportunity? It contains music. It contains travel. It contains — it can have that bad business travel element possibly in there, for me.” I can then come to my Compass and say. “Where does it fit?” Where does this opportunity fall on my Compass? Are there any aspects of the opportunity that are down here? Bad sign. Red flag. Down here. I’m already doing those things I don’t like. No. Red flag. You can say anything below the middle here — the equator here — you don’t want to go there.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com
* A portion of each sale from Amazon.com directly supports our blogs
** Many of these books may be available from your local library. Check it out!