Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
Because, the reason we have a blog is…we need to share what we know — what we do and how well we do it — to go back to that again — we need to share that with people. Oftentimes, we don’t share what we do, because we simply don’t have a place to put it. It’s like “well, do I put it on Facebook or do I post it over here or…? Well, if you set up a blog, all of a sudden, now you have a place to put stuff and what I’ve found is if you have a place to put stuff, guess what? You find stuff to put there. It’s kind of a “chicken and the egg” sort of scenario. You think, “Well, what do I have to post?” Then, all of a sudden, you have the site set up and “Oh, yeah, I could post that neat piece of art I did. I could put that over there. I could talk about art therapy. I have some thoughts about that I could put there.” You find all these things that suddenly, well, now I have a home for and Ok. Let’s start to put that stuff out there and that’s exactly what you should be doing, by the way.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!