Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
Now, in my case, I have my own web site. I actually pay for some web space out there and I have various properties on that web space and that is where that name points to right now. You don’t necessarily have to go that far. You can set up a free blog on WordPress.com. How many people have heard of WordPress? WordPress.com is a free blog. You go in, you set it up, you get a name like abc.wordpress.com, or something like that, but that doesn’t really matter because what you do is you point your own personal domain over to this and so people type in that and end up here. Again, you own your name. You own your presence, you can point it wherever you wish. Another one is Blogger.com although Google doesn’t seem to be paying much attention to Blogger.com right now. Tumblr is really popular right now, too. Tumblr is a bot of a wild, wild and wooly place, in some ways. It’s interesting, but you can also set up a Tumblr blog and just point your name over there, as well. Nothing wrong with that. The point is to have your name.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!