Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
You need to have… a blog. How many people know what a blog is? Pretty much everybody. When I started giving this talk, that was not a given. What’s a blog? You need to have some sort of Internet presence, whether that’s a standard web site…I prefer blogs, because blogs are more easily updated and easy to share stuff. The reason you have this is you have your own home base. Anything you do out there, anywhere else…if post something on Facebook, if you post something on Tumblr, if you do any of these other things, everything should have a pointer back to your home base. Why is that? Anyone heard of MySpace? People invested lots and lots of time in MySpace and it basically disappeared. Companies can do that at a whim, so you don’t want to necessarily be tied to any one service that’s out there. That doesn’t mean you can’t use them, but by having a blog or web site of your own, you have your own home base that you own.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!