Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
What do you like to do? Let’s start with something as simple as that. What do you like to do? Well, if you look at my blog — you look at my web site — You’ll notice that well, yeah, I like to garden. I like podcasting. I have a love/hate relationship with technology and I start to plot those basic likes and dislikes on the compass. And you can sort of use the distance from the center here as kind of a gradation, too. Like here is my kind of love/hate relationship with technology right now, but gardening I really like and there perhaps there’s something — I really like music, so it’s way out here. And the compass starts to divide in a number of areas. Up here are things you are, things that you are doing now that you like, but these can be aspects of your current job. “You know, I really like helping people. I really like working with the technology. I really like going out on site and doing training.” Whatever. These are the things that you are doing now that you really like.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!