Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
My name is Douglas E. Welch. You can find out more about me than you probably ever wanted to know over at DouglasEWelch.com. I give lots of career talks. I was thinking as I was putting the talk together today — I was counting how many years I’ve been talking and writing about careers and the number 30 came up. Which was a little scary. I did not realize it had been that long. I started writing about careers during my own high-tech career back in the late 80’s and one of things that I focused on with careers is not your typical thing of resumes and interview skills and management and all that stuff. What I found was that the most intriguing questions about having a career were very, very personal. They were about “your” career. Because really, the only thing that really matters out there is each of our individual careers for ourselves. Now, I’m going to be talking today to you as people who are finishing up their degrees and perhaps thinking about going on to further degrees or into the workplace themselves. I hope you can also kind of listen as a client that you might have down the road and find something useful in what I say today that you might be able to pass on and use in your own work later. That would make me feel really good.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!