There comes a time every summer when simply want to cry, “Uncle!” Enough with the heat already — dry or otherwise. I am beat from all the heat and just want a nice cool day where I can go outside and not feel I am going to burst into flames. Of course, this weekend is destined to be even hotter and I am supposed to spend 2 days outside filming. This reminds me of those days of the year when we would bale hay back in Ohio. You wanted the hay to be as dry as possible before baling and storing it, so the hottest, driest day was always the best day to gather it. Great for the hay, but absolutely abusive for the workers. There was no cover from the sun. The hay was dusty and prickly and then you had to load it into the hay mow of the barn once you were done. That is one part of my childhood that I will never, ever, miss — even though I was allowed sips from an ice cold beer when we took our breaks in the field. (SMILE)
Of course, business stops for no man, so our days have been filled with all sorts of errands that drag us out into the heat. Work and school demands we wear something other than shorts and flip-flops. The only thing we can try to do is drink enough water and other cold beverages to keep us hydrated — something I don’t do enough. I get to the end of the day and wonder why I am parched and suffering a headache. Suddenly I chug an entirely large glass of water. My body knows what it needs, if not my mind.
Thankfully, here in the San Fernando Valley the evenings provide us a bit of respite from the heat. We don’t usually need to run our A/C at night, but rather use fans to pull in the cooler evening air, pushing the heat from the house so we don’t have to use so much electricity the next day. This works fine on those days under 90º or so. Once it reaches 100º+ all bets are off though.
Excuse me know while I go grab yet another glass of ice water to cool off before bed and dream of cooler days to come.
Previously on End of the Day:
- The perfect trap and the trap of perfect – End of the Day for September 9, 2014
- Those nights when my mind simply won’t shut off – End of the Day for September 8, 2014
- Make it a win-win, or at least try – End of the Day for September 7, 2014
- May you live in interesting times – End of the Day for September 5, 2014
- A little poetry – End of the Day for September 2, 2014
- Photography as a part of your life – End of the Day for September 1, 2014
- End of the Day for August 2014
- End of the Day for July 2014
- End of the Day for June 2014
- End of the Day for May 2014
- End of the Day for April 2014
- End of the Day for March 2014
- End of the Day for February 2014
- End of the Day for January 2014