Just received this great news in my inbox from the Los Angeles Public Library. Glad to see the system expanding its hours again after so many years of cutbacks. — Douglas
Nine Libraries will Re-open on Sundays
Starting January 12, 2014!
Great news! Starting January 12, 2014, the Los Angeles Public Library’s Central Library and eight regional branch libraries will once again be open on Sundays from 1 – 5 p.m.
Join us as we celebrate at these libraries on Sunday, January 12, starting at 12:30 p.m. with a ribbon cutting and continuing with refreshments and special family programs throughout the day:
- Central Library, 630 W. Fifth St., downtown LA, 90071
- Arroyo Seco, 6145 N. Figueroa St. LA 90042
- Goldwyn – Hollywood, 1623 N. Ivar Ave., Hollywood 90028
- Exposition Park, 3900 S. Western Ave., LA 90007
- Mid-Valley, 16244 Nordhoff St., North Hills, 91343
- North Hollywood, 5211 Tujunga Ave., North Hollywood 91601
- San Pedro, 931 S. Gaffey St., San Pedro 90731
- West Los Angeles, 11360 Santa Monica Blvd. Los Angeles 90025
- West Valley, 19036 Vanowen St., Reseda 91335
Restoring library service on Sundays is made possible by voter-approved Measure L. For more information visit www.lapl.org/measure-l.
For more information visit: www.lapl.org/sunday.
Not often we get dressed up to go out, but the Magic Castle has a dress code, so we had to clean up to see our friend, Arthur Benjamin perform his Mathemagic show in the Peller Theater. We caught a couple of closeup magic acts and some bar magic with Doc Eason, too!
Many budding musicians will receive their first guitar this year. To ensure these players learn proper technique and stay inspired to continue on their musical journey, Guitar Center is proudly offering a series of free in-store guitar lessons. We’ll present an hour-long class for beginning guitarists, demonstrating introductory skills such as proper playing position, tuning, basic strumming, chords and how to care for your instrument.
PizzaRev is a build-a-pizza franchise where pizzas are built to order and cook in about 3 minutes at high heat, much like in traditional Italian pizzerias.
LA Weekly has a story on 2 microbreweries seeking to open in the SFV, including one in our neighborhood, if all the bureaucratic dots line up. I would love to have this nearby and walkable. I think it would be a great addition to the neighborhood.
“After a divorce, Jennifer Boase was looked for a new business opportunity, and with her new husband Alastair, hired a brewer and set out to open a brewery.
Boase was born in Pasadena and grew up in Britain, but she and her Scottish husband Alastair have settled in the Valley. “We just kind of thought, ‘What the hell. This could be good for a lot of reasons,’” says Jennifer. “We don’t have any regrets. We’re really excited to be in Van Nuys.” MacLeod Ale will focus on British style cask ales, which Boase sees as a draw for beer lovers.
MacLeod Ale has run into speed bumps en route to quenching the Valley’s thirst. Boase says that craft breweries are not something that the city’s planning department sees very day, and she gets lost in the labyrinth of L.A. bureaucracy. She says there’s been disputes about zoning variances and parking, and likens the experience to walking into a dark room full of marbles, with the goal of picking all the marbles up. “You kind of discover as you go along,” she says.
While both MacLeod Ale and San Fernando brewing companies have made progress in their quest to bring craft beer to the Valley, flowing suds is not quite imminent. Boase hopes MacLeod launches in the first quarter of next year. Rogers initially pegged San Fernando coming online in six to eight months, but maybe even sooner if things with the City of San Fernando continue to go smoothly.”
Gift Guide 2013: Classes from the Institute of Domestic Technology – Cheesemaking, Cocktails, Preserving and more!
If you live near, or are thinking of visiting, the Los Angeles area, there is a place where you can learn about cheese making, canning, preserving and more — The Institute of Domestic Technology.
- Cheese Making 3 Class Series
- Foodcrafting 102
- Holiday Cocktail Crafting
- Home Coffee Roasting
- Milkcrafting 101
- Milkcrafting 102
- Milkcrafting 103
- Saving the Season: Cherries
- Saving the Season: Citrus
- Saving the Season: Figs
- Saving the Season: Stone Fruit
- Saving the Season: Tomatoes
- …and more.
You can even purchase gift certificates for your significant other.
Give the gift of knowledge and learning this year!
More 2013 Gift Guide Items:
- Cusinart CHW-12 Coffee Plus
- Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
- Rode Podcaster USB Dynamic Microphone
- WD My Cloud 3TB Personal Cloud Storage
- MXL Studio 1 USB Desktop Microphone
- Sunset Western Garden Book 2012
- Why Read Moby-Dick?
- Ignore Everybody and 39 Other Keys to Creativity by Hugh MacLeod
- Zoom H6 6 Track Portable Digital Recorder
- Do the Work by Steven Pressfield
- Killer Ratings by Lisa Seidman
- Kings County Distillery Guide to Urban Moonshining
- Blue Yeti Microphone
- Starter Kit for Newsite Arduino Uno R3
- The Drunken Botanist : The plants that create the world’s great drinks
- The Promise by Dawn Comer Jefferson and Rosanne Welch
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- Google Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player
- Minecraft for PC | Minecraft for Xbox 360
I have been meaning to take some more focused time for photography and yesterday saw me at the nearby Sepulveda Wildlife Reserve which is less than a mile away from home. Here are the scenes I captured. My small telephoto lens allowed me to get closer shots than ever and it was great to spend some time shooting and learning as I went.
See all the photos on the set “Sepulveda Wildlife Reserve” on Flickr. Like and Share your favorites from there.
Watch a previous video from the Sepulveda Wildlife Reserve
As always, let me know what types of interesting items you would like to see and I will keep an eye out for them especially. — Douglas
- Technology / Dropbox Updates with Automatic Screenshot Saving and iPhoto Importing
- Technology / TireCheck Uses Your iPhone Camera to Check Your Car’s Tire Pressure
- Technology / Roll the dice or flip a coin with Siri
- Technology / Easy fix for pesky iOS 7 Messages bug
- Technology / Google Drive Updated With New Tools and Subtle Touch of Color
- Technology / Waterborne Robots Display Emergent Behavior
- Technology / The Best Clever Uses for Text Expansion
- Travel / Virtual Tour of London
- Travel / Cedar Point Grew Along with the Middle Class in America
- Garden / Kevin West’s Saving the Season
- Technology / MapsIcon – free collection of icon maps for every country in the world [Freeware]
- Technology / Canary Calendar Syncs with Google and Facebook, Makes Scheduling Easy
- Food / Leftover Quinoa: Make Patties
- Garden / 10 Best Trees and Shrubs for Fall Color
- Technology / 7 Data Viz Sites to Inspire Your Creative Eye
- Technology / LEDs turn the heat up on flameless pumpkin lights
- Technology / Hulu Plus Adds Support for Chromecast on Android and iOS
- Technology / DIY Pressure Plate Switch for your Haunted House
- Technology / 10 Great Intel Galileo Features
- Technology / Adobe’s network compromised: 2.9 million customer names, encrypted credit and debit card numbers, and source code (Emil Protalinski/The Next Web)
- Technology / Robots: Getting Started in Robotics
- Technology / Evernote Gets Two-Factor Authentication, Turn It On Now
- Technology / Charge Everything at Once with the 3-in-1 USB Charger [Deals Hub]
- Technology / Robots Podcast #140: Getting started with RobotGrrl
- Food / Give It a Rest, Pumpkin Spice Lattes: It’s Hot Toddy Season Too!
- Garden / Let the bulb planting start!
- Technology / Geonaute 360 Video Camera – this ultra cool cam captures all the action from every direction, even up…
- New Media / Podcasting Microphone: Review of MXL Studio 1 Red Dot
- New Media / Stabilized Action Cam and Smartphone Mounts Smooth Out Your Home Vids
- Technology / More Detail on AT&T’s Austin Fiber to the Press Release -
- Technology / DIY Animated Halloween Graveyard Creep Prop
- Food / Crockpot Thai Coconut Curry
- Technology / Scratch for Arduino Makes Programing the Arduino More Visual
- Travel / Hammer Museum declares that art will be free
- Technology / Cal from Any.DO Now Integrates with Google Maps, Waze, Amazon and More
- Technology / Custom Wireless Headphone Charging Station
- Technology / Logacal Turns Your Calendar into an Agenda
- Technology / OpenROV Headlines New DIY Video Series
- Travel / Amtrak Teams with Google to Create a Real-Time Train Locator Map
- Technology / Flickr for iOS picked up some new features today, including an auto-straightening tool to fix crooke
- Technology / Introducing Auto Upload and Auto-straightening for Flickr on iOS
- Garden / 10 Ways to Clean Your Kitchen Less Often, and Enjoy It Way More
- Technology / Twitter’s New Experiment Sends You Direct Messages About Breaking News
- New Media / New podcast series from an excellent history audioblogger
- Technology / Have A Record of the Last Five Minutes Thanks to Heard
- Technology / Noisli Generates Background Sounds to Keep Your Creative and Relaxed
- Career / Top 5 Taxation Matters To Consider For Students
- Food / 250 Pasta Shapes You Should Know: Pop Chart Lab’s Plethora of Pasta Permutations
- Food / Lemon Pepper Chicken Soup
- Technology / Twitter updates TweetDeck for Mac
- Technology / Apple releases new Java update, uninstalls Apple-provided Java applet
- Garden / A Fabulous Foliage Annual From Down Under
- Garden / 8 fall container gardens
- Technology / Square Cash, the Service That Lets You Email Money to Friends, Is Now Public (And Free)
- Technology / Square’s free ‘Square Cash’ service allows users to send money via email
- New Media / Spark Camera, a simple movie-making app
- Career / Five tips to creating a better candidate experience
- Comic / strip for October / 10 / 2013 – Flow…
- Food / Baking 101: Natural vs Dutch-Processed Cocoa Powder
- History / Christopher Columbus was awful (but this other guy was not)
- Garden / This Wild Wallpaper Turns Your Home Into a Natural History Museum
- Food / Roasted Potatoes with Parmesan and Oregano
- Technology / Olloclip releases new clip-on 4-in-1 Lens for the iPhone
- Technology / DeskHop – share your screen with a friend on Facebook anytime
- Food / 15 Great Cookbooks for Fall
- Technology / Microsoft launches official Remote Desktop app for Apple’s iOS
- Technology / Fotor Makes Quick Work of Photo Editing Tasks Online
- Technology / Audubon Launches Crowdsourced Map of Raptor Sightings Across the United States and South America
- Technology /Final Shout Helps You Find Your Lost iPhone
- Technology / Grab Over 500 Free Programming Books from GitHub
- “Technology / An amazing, fun and completely addictive sex ed app”-Dan Savage
- Garden / Field-guide giveaway, and a walk in the woods with naturalist charley eiseman
- Garden / 19 Wicked Cool Jack-o’-Lanterns
- New Media / Mickey Mouse and friends, brought back to the 1930s era sense of humor
- Technology / Average House Prices Mapped
- Music / Brian Eno — Ambient 1: Music for Airports
- Technology / Google Hangouts for iOS adds voice calling, Google Voice integration
- Food / Delectable: The essential wine app for amateurs, enthusiasts and wine professionals alike
- Technology / 9 Practical Tips For Your iOS7 Device
- Food / How To Make Kombucha, Sake, Cider, Beer with Emma Christensen – GF Radio 315
- Technology / Electronics : olloclip iPhone Telephoto + Circular Polarizing lens system
- Technology / Arduino RC Car
- Technology / Gmail and Google Docs Now Support Handwriting Input
- Technology / Here’s How to Watch Live Stream of Apple’s iPad Event
- Technology / Apple Launches OS Mavericks X Now Available for Free
- Food / GINGER SCONES
- Technology / How to Create an OS X Mavericks USB Installation Drive
- Technology / iOS 7.0.3 Released to Fix iMessage Bugs, Calibration Issues, and More
- Garden / Cooper’s Hawk Comes for a Bath
- Technology / 25 Killer Websites that Make You Cleverer
- Technology / Adobe confirms Flash Player is sandboxed in Safari for OS X Mavericks
- Technology / Vine Update Lets Users Edit Videos, Save Multiple Drafts (Jordan Crook/TechCrunch)
- Technology / iMovie 10 for Mac: TUAW hands-on video walkthrough
- Technology / 9 Reading Apps You Need To Have On Your iPad
- Career / Figure out What You Love to Do
- Technology / Five Apps That Will Increase Your Productivity
- Technology / The dawn of an era, available and emulated in your browser to play.
- Travel / Fly Through 17th Century London
- Technology / Free art books online from the Metropolitan and Guggenheim Museums
- Garden / The Unparalleled Power of Trees (11 photos)
- Technology / Starbucks Lets You Buy Coffee for a Friend via Twitter (Todd Wasserman/Mashable)
- Technology / You can now tweet the gift of coffee to a deserving pal thanks to Starbucks
- Travel / The La Brea Tar Pits Remind Us That Los Angeles Is an Ancient City
- Technology / How to Identify Any Font That Caught Your Fancy
- Technology / Google+ Adds Auto Awesome Movies, Great Video Editing Features, More
- Minecraft Manhattan
- Technology / Send Annotated Pics + Audio with Note Rocket
- New Media / 8 Places to Find Quality Free Photos
- New Media / Ghosts of the Internet Retrospective – 6 years of Scary Fun
- Career / Updated: Speaking checklist for great talks (Printable)
- Food / 7 Fall Drinks Better Than A Pumpkin Spice Latte
- New Media / 13 Fresh Yet Free Photoshop PSD Templates And Resources
- Technology / Google Chromecast Now Streams Pandora to Your TV
- Food / Make Your Own Vanilla Extract for Less Money (and Bigger Flavor)
- Food / Hedgehog Cupcakes by Maria Olejniczak
- Technology / Waze Data Is Starting To Show Up In Google Maps – BuzzFeed Mobile