I have read — and re-read — Do the work by Steven Pressfield and would highly recommend you do the same. In fact, I am thinking that I will make it (and Pressfield’s earlier book, The War of Art) required reading before I will work with any client. Both books have helped me tremendously in my life and work. We all have to start somewhere on our creative adventures and Pressfield’s books are like an experienced guide that can help to lead us through the creative forest. Revisiting them on a regular basis reenergizes me to face the fight that all creatives feel.
Of course, creativity isn’t just the domain of some specialized class of people. We are all creative in unique ways and we all experience the haunting voice of resistance, as Pressfield names the monster that frightens all of us away from big, transformative changes in our lives. Pressfield reminds us of the nature of this beast and gives us the tools we need to defeat it — again and again.
In my work, I meet so many people who don’t realize their own potential. They drastically underestimate their power to change their lives and change the world. They face the resistance dragon and allow it to eat them nearly every time instead of emerging, triumphant, like St. George. It is often my goal to give them the tools — the horse, the lance, the sword — to help them slay the dragon of resistance just as I have to fight against it everyday. Sometimes I can bring them along with me — at other times, not, but I will never stop trying.
So, to repeat my unasked for advice — get these books, read them and then start on your own creative adventure. You can overcome resistance and create something new, something unique and something great!
The War of Art is also available from Amazon and your local public library. Add it to your creative toolbox today!
* A portion of each sale from Amazon.com directly supports our blogs
- #28 RAM Mounts for iPhones and dozens of other devices and vehicles
- #27 The Promise by Dawn Comer Jefferson and Rosanne Welch
- #26 300 LED Color Changing Kit
- #25 Warhammer Age of Sigmar Starter Box
- #24 Jawbone Jambox Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
- #23 Zoom H6 Audio Recorder
- #22 Amazon Echo
- #21 Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone
- #20 Bulb Planting Tools for the Garden
- #19 Google Cardboard 3d VR Virtual Reality DIY 3D Glasses
- #18 Makey Makey – An Invention Kit for Everyone
- #17 Etekcity Wireless Remote Control Electrical Outlet Switch
- #16 iClever BoostCube 4.8A 24W Dual USB Travel Wall Charger
- #15 Fancierstudio Professional Digital Video Continuous Softbox Lighting Kit with Lighting Stand, 3000 Watt
- #14 Anker PowerCore 10000 Portable Charger
- #13 Snark SN-5 Tuner for Guitar, Bass and Violin
- #12 Goldiblox Award Winning Construction Kits for Girls!
- #11 iOttie Easy One Touch Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder
- #10 Mohu Leaf 30 TV Antenna
- #9 littleBits Electronics Premium Kit
- #8 Yimby Tumbler Composter
- #7 All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot
- #6 Electric Kettles
- #5 Arduino Starter Kit
- #4 Prosecco Sparkling Wine
- #3 The $64 Tomato by William Alexander
- #2 Italian Moka Pot Coffee Makers
- #1 CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 Complete Starter Kit