I drive by this address in Pasadena on occasion when visiting a client who lives nearby. The note on the photo says the garden is no longer extant, but it might the interesting to drive by and see what it looks like today. The more I see the lovely rose arbors in these old garden, the more I want one myself.
Mrs. Francis Lemoine Loring house, 700 South San Rafael Avenue, San Rafael Heights, Pasadena, California. (LOC)
Johnston, Frances Benjamin,, 1864-1952,, photographer.
[Mrs. Francis Lemoine Loring house, 700 South San Rafael Avenue, San Rafael Heights, Pasadena, California. Bougainvillea pergola from flower garden to house]
1 photograph : glass lantern slide, hand-colored ; 3.25 x 4 in.
Site History. House Architecture:: Originally designed for W.H. Bailey by Myron Hunt and Elmer Grey, 1906. Landscape: Myron Hunt completed, 1917. Associated Name: Anna-William Loring. Today: Garden not extant.
Slide used with lecture “California Gardens” as no. 10.
Title, date, and subject information provided by Sam Watters, 2011.
Forms part of: Garden and historic house lecture series in the Frances Benjamin Johnston Collection (Library of Congress).
Published in Gardens for a Beautiful America / Sam Watters. New York: Acanthus Press, 2012. Plate 111.
Rights Info: No known restrictions on publication.
Repository: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Washington, D.C. 20540 USA,hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.print
Higher resolution image is available (Persistent URL): hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/ppmsca.16004
Call Number: LC-J717-X97- 5
Previously in Garden History:
- Tatham Garden
- ‘Santa Barbara Mission, 2201 Laguna Street, Santa Barbara, California. (LOC)
- Your victory garden counts more than ever!
- “Villa Sciarra,” George Wurts house, via Calandrelli, Rome, Italy. (LOC)
- Whitworth Gardens, Darley Dale, Derbyshire, England
- John & Lizzie Wilson from Boston in Bradenton, Florida, 1951
- Paris Exposition: gardens, Paris, France, 1900
- Wisteria blooms in Davis Garden (Locust Valley, New York), 1930
- “Killenworth,” George Dupont Pratt house, Glen Cove, New York, ca. 1918
- A Garden Under Glass, Nice, France, c1865-1895