Descanso Gardens Cherry Blossom Festival, March 19-20, 2011
1418 Descanso Drive, La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011. (818) 949 4200
The flowering of cherry trees is celebrated around the world as a herald of spring. Descanso Gardens will welcome the season with a new, Japanese-themed Cherry Blossom Festival on March 19 and 20.
Witness a traditional Japanese tea ceremony – or watch a demonstration of Japanese cooking. Enjoy bento box lunches and a Cherry-tini cocktail in the Camellia Lounge. Take a guided walk of the flowering cherry trees in the Descanso landscape, purchase a cherry tree to take home and get expert advice on cherry tree care.
Festival highlights include:
- Japanese Tea Ceremonies, 11 a.m., 12:30 and 2 p.m. Saturday: Witness this traditional ceremony. Seating is limited. Tea and sweets will be sold. In the Minka.
- Japanese Cooking Demonstration, 11 a.m. Sunday: Learn some basics of Japanese cuisine from Jesse Genovese, chef at Ramsey’s at The Club in Toluca Lake. Be ready to take notes! At Nature’s Table.
- Prunus lecture, 10:30 a.m. Saturday: The genus Prunus includes stone fruits such as cherries, plums and peaches. Descanso Horticulturist Mike Brown leads a discussion and demonstration on the proper methods for fertilizing and pruning these trees. The class will also learn how to drape trees in order to protect fruit from hungry birds. At Nature’s Table.
- Cherry tree sale, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. both days: Purchase a flowering cherry to plant in your own garden. At Magnolia Lawn.
- Cherry blossom walks, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. both days: Take a guided walk-and-talk that explores the many cherry trees in the Gardens. Meet at the Center Circle.
- Bento box lunches and Cherry-Tini cocktails, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. both days: Back by popular demand, the Camellia Lounge (located in the Full Moon Teahouse) returns. Purchase a cocktail or a bento box to enjoy on the lawn. Bento boxes are $6.95 for the vegetarian option; $8.95 for the chicken or beef option. To pre-order, phone Patina at (818) 790-3663. Bento box lunches may also be purchased at the event. View the complete menu here.
Activities are free with admission: $8 adults, $6 seniors/students, $3 children 5-12; 4 and younger enter free. Details: (818) 949-4200.