Unable to take any more of the news, the newspaper and the Internet, I sought a bit of solace in the garden today. It seems that every washer on every hose and every hose-end sprayer has failed over the last 2-3 weeks. I have nearly worked through the small package I always keep on the pegboard above my workbench. I suppose there is a theoretical lifetime on washers and I am obviously reaching it.
I took a few moments to perform a semi-scientific experiment with the long (100') soaker hose that outlines the front garden. It is actually 2, 50' soakers connected together. I have noticed that the end of the soaker does not appear to be working very well. The flow is very low. I turned on the soaker and then placed pie plates at several places along its length. After a typical 2 hour run, I compared the water level in the pie plates. There was a dramatic difference between them.
I don't think the second half of the soaker has gotten clogged, but it is probably worth a check now. I think I can force water through the hose backwards and see if any mud or debris is dislodge.
I have thought about trying to find a remedy for months, but I think I am going to have my landscaper friend drop by and install a new standpipe on the other side of the yard. Then I can split the pressure between the two.
One dead rose the driveway bed was removed and I finally got some tables from the garden party, over a month ago, cleaned up and put back in storage. Granted, I don't have to worry about rain for a few more months, but it was a job that was nagging at my conscience. I fixed a few more items and it felt really good to knock some things off my to-do list, even if it had nothing to do with business.
Finally, I put a few peanuts out for the scrub jays and the squirrels and headed inside for dinner. A good day, overall.