Twig Trellises at Descanso Gardens, La Cañada Flintridge, California
During our visit to nearby Descanso Gardens on President’s Day, I came across these wonderful twig trellises in their kitchen and learning garden. This area was filled with fruit trees, vegetables, berries and more. The entrances were framed with these tall trellises built from gathered, down, limbs from the garden. IT might be hard to see, but metal rebar provide the basic structural frame and wire is used to attach the limbs and twigs themselves. The berries were scrambling up a wide trellis for support built adjacent to one of the entrance ways.
I know I could probably easily gather up enough limbs to do this in my garden and I bet you could too.
Here are a couple of resources for creating your own garden trellis.
Previously in Garden Decor:
- Cut Out Heart Shaped Cement Outdoor Plant Pot
- Garden-themed mugs
- Corrugated Steel Garden Beds (or re-purposed cattle troughs)
- Cast Concrete Planters
- Making a mini wildlife stack from The Guardian
- Chalkboard Pots for the Garden
- Bring the garden indoors with these lovely garden throw pillows
- Niteangel Natural Insect Hotel Bee Bug House/Hotel
- Plant Nanny 6051 4 Count Wine Bottle Stake Set
- Torre And Tagus French Bulldog Watering Can
- Sagaform White/Cream Ceramic Birdy Bird Feeder
- Round Copper Planters
- Stump and Plank Garden Bench
- Garden Window and other great ideas from House and Garden UK
- Oxidized Steel Fire Basket by Menu
- Copper Pipe Tiki Torches DIY
- Topiary Doorway
- See all past Garden Decor entries