Read the book
Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
I know it can seem — just to close — it can seem a little daunting because I walk the line between introverted and extroverted. Depending on the time of day, the day of the week, the day of the month, I go either way and I often get questions from people, “Well, What about the introverts amongst us?” and what I tell them is this, “It doesn’t cut you out. In fact, it can, you can still utilize these tools often if you are still a relatively introverted person because these give you that distance. You can say something in a blog post or in a Facebook that you might not say face-to-face to someone because the conflict is too close to you, but by giving yourself some distance, you can actually bring out some of those ideas. This comes from the fact, my wife and I taught an online course on podcasting and writing and one of the things she noticed immediately form her face-to-face classes to this online class was the amount of discussion that took place. People are verbose online. They will talk and talk and talk and talk. They may be the quietest person sitting in corner of a classroom, but put them online, where they’ve got that distance, conversation flows and so that sort of brought this home to me that you can use these tools even if you are little bit introverted, because you will have some distance between you and that physical person there that might intimidate you.
But that’s pretty much all I have today. I hope that you guys a can face these two challenges of both figuring out what you to do and also then using the tools that we have to tell people what you do and how well you do it so that you can bring that opportunity to you.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Build the Career You Deserve with these books
* A portion of each sale from Amazon.com directly supports our blogs
** Many of these books may be available from your local library. Check it out!