Read the book
Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
Podcasting is interesting. I was one of the first 20 podcasters back in 2004 because I had content. I was had already been writing my career column for a long time and I had some audio equipment so I was able to start literally within 2 weeks of the term being coined. Nowadays, podcasting has sort of been infiltrated by the big boys but that doesn’t mean you can’t use it to your own advantage. When I’m talking with voice over people or actors or someone like that, one of the hardest things to do when acting is to get known. Is to have work. To show people. You know you do showcases or you do open mic nights or you this and the other and I tell them, “You know what? You have a great new tool at your advantage here. YouTube and Podcasting. Do your own shows. Do your own shows. Do your own web shows. Do your own comedy half hour. Do whatever you do. Do you own voiceover work. Find an animator who’s looking for voices for their animation and do voice over for their animation
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
* A portion of each sale from Amazon.com directly supports our blogs
** Many of these books may be available from your local library. Check it out!