A clip from the presentation, “Transition is the New Normal” to OPEN (Outstanding Professionals Employment Network) Ventura County in Simi Valley, CA on March 4, 2016
We used to think that transition — especially career transition — is something that you wake up — “Ok, I’ve got to deal with this. Just this period and then I’m out of transition.” Well, the fact is, no, that’s not the way it works and I know that you know that’s not the way it works. It’s a constant continuum of change throughout our lives and the sooner we adapt to that and absorb that fact, the better off we’re all going to be. Life is simply one long transition. I’m a different person now at 52 than I was at 22. For a variety of reasons. Ok? We all are. Every day, something changes about us and we need to learn to see that as the opposite of stability. Sometimes we look for stability. We’re looking for hat post to hang on to that says, “Ahhh, Ok, I’m out od transition. I’m stable now.” And again, you already know this — it doesn’t exist, because something else comes along immediately after and causes another type of transition, another change in your life, you’ve got to deal with.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!