Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
Something I often tak about with careers, to, is something I call a hybrid career. We have a lot of people who are interested in doing music. Being rich doing music is a bit of a lottery. It is very hard to do, but if you like music, perhaps you can combine your interest in music with another part — another interest. As a high-tech person, I could say, “Well, I could work in a high-tech job at a music company — at a recording company — at a post house — at a live venue.” I could find ways to bring those two interest together and develop a career that is actually a hybrid of the two rather than just something that are separate and apart, where I might not to be able to succeed in either one individually. Before we moved out here from Cleveland, I actually worked at the Playhouse Square Foundation as a computer person, but I got to be around the theater, be around the milieu. We got to go to all the shows. We got to be with all the business and all the creative people and I was still immersed in the theater world, even those I was doing a job that was utilizing my other skills of being a computer guy.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!