I have writing, blogging and podcasting for a while, but for a variety of reasons my work has never crossed over the line into any wider popularity. I have some very dedicated fans but my impact and effect on the wider world has always been limited. Like anyone, this sometimes bothers me. I have never wanted to be “famous”, but I have always wanted my work to have as much effect as possible. The reality of this, though, is the more people who know about you and your work, the more impact it can have. Therefore, people need to know about you.
The fact is, I live under the common fallacy that the work should stand for itself. I don’t think this has ever been true, but it is a belief that has existed almost since civilization was formed. I know this intellectually, of course, but I have work against it a lot. I have always worked to promote my work and, at times, myself, but I don’t think I quite have the gene that makes me great at it. This can lead to some large cognitive dissonance i.e. confusion. (LAUGH)
The one thing that has kept me producing after all this time (beyond my own selfish reason – I like doing it) are the letters I get from readers and listeners. I got a great one today and I have been running on that energy all day. It is so odd how a few words can have such a big effect, but I’ll take it!
So, as Scarlett O’Hara said, “Tomorrow is another day!” and I will keep on creating, promoting and trying to have the biggest imapoct I can have with my life and world. No matter how much support and feedback I get — or do not get, I don’t think I can ever stop trying. That wouldn’t be fair to those who enjoy my work or to myself.
Got any hints how I can share my work with more people? All advice is greatly appreciated!
Previously on End of the Day:
- The Sakura are in Bloom! – End of the Day for March 24, 2014
- A little bit of gaming (and a little work, too) – End of the Day for March 23, 2014
- Walking. Just Walking – End of the Day for March 22, 2014
- Sharing “The Promise” – End of the Day for March 21, 2014
- Of marriage and time together – End of the Day for March 20, 2014
- Memories and photographs – End of the Day for March 19, 2014
- Education is what I do! – End of the Day for March 18, 2014
- A blogging presentation and Q&A – Get your questions answered! – End of the Day for March 17, 2014
- Getting the “motivation snowball” rolling – End of the Day for March 16, 2014
- Parenting, parties and curfews, oh my! – End of the Day for March 15, 2014
- Tempus fugit – End of the Day for March 14, 2014
- Long dark journey into the office – End of the Day for March 13, 2014
- Science and Cosmos – End of the Day for March 12, 2014
- Why should you blog, podcast and share? – End of the Day for March 11, 2014
- Two decades past – End of the Day for March 10, 2014
- A day trip to Ojai, but a world away in my mind – End of the Day for March 9, 2014
- A job that doesn’t exist…and that’s OK! – End of the Day for March 8, 2014
- Finding time and space to be a couple again – End of the Day for March 7, 2014
- Joseph Claude Welch –March 7, 1998 — End of the Day for March 6, 2014
- Food, Glorious, Food – End of the Day for March 5, 2014
- Oh let it be over! One more sneeze and I am going to scream! – End of the Day for March 4, 2014
- Why are you so mean? — End of the Day for March 3, 2014
- You have to believe to blog! — End of the Day for March 2, 2014
- School Days, Kindle Books and the Library — End of the Day for March 1, 2014
- End of the Day for February 2014
- End of the Day for January 2014