This my “go-to” guide for gardening in Southern California. Our climate means that gardening happens on a different timetable here and my gardening knowledge from my childhood in Ohio doesn’t serve me very well. Television, too, seems to focus on gardening in colder sections of the United States, so their advice often can’t be followed or applied out here.
I especially live the “Month by Month” layout of the book, It gives me an easy checklist to read the month before, so I know what I should be doing in the next few weeks. This allows you to prepare what you need — whether that means preparing your compost, purchasing seeds or plants or hiring the tree pruner.
I originally came across earlier versions of this book years ago in a small bookstore in Santa Monica and I have kept a copy ever since. Highly recommended if you are gardening in Southern California or similar climates.
More 2012 Gift Guide Items:
- Do the Work by Steven Pressfield
- Bulb Planting Tools
- Blue Snowball Microphone
- Seagate Backup Plus 500 GB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive
- Logitech C920 HD Web Cam
- We Are All Weird by Seth Godin
- Sunset Western Garden Book – New Edition for 2012
- The Hobbit/The Lord of the Rings
- Garden Mysteries by Anthony Eglin
- The Creative Habit/The Collaborative Habit by Twyla Tharp
- Moleskeine Journals