One of my favorite gardening books, The New Sunset Western Garden Book, is now available for your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. The price is $19.99 and I am thinking of purchasing it for my iPhone. I think and iPad would be more usable, though, due to its larger screen size. I’ll have to look at some more iPhone screenshots to see how usable it might be.
From the iTunes App Store…
“Green thumbs go digital! Sunset Magazine’s unparalleled reference guide for Western gardeners springs to life for iPad, iPhone, and the web on Inkling. Now, dig deeper with almost 30 how-to videos, more than 100 slideshows with high-res photography, easy navigation, and additional features and content not found in print.
As the best-selling gardening book in the country, the New Sunset Western Garden Book is already the go-to resource for any gardener in the West. With the beloved print book rebuilt for your iPad and iPhone, it’s even more useful and beautiful than ever before. From embedded videos and gorgeous high-res photos to seamless navigation tools, social sharing features, and in-book gardening notes, the interactive version of your favorite gardening resource is sure to breathe new life into how you garden.
* How-to videos: Watch almost 30 videos to get the dirt on gardening techniques that help you create a hardier, healthier and more beautiful garden.
* Interactive images: There are approximately 30 interactive images, including 15 Climate Zone Maps with tappable poptips to help with climate zone identification and key characteristics of each zone.
* Instructive slideshows: Tap through more than 100 high-res photo slideshows to learn how different plants will work together in your garden.
* Lush layouts: Browsing your book can be as colorful and delightful as wandering in your garden. Science and art go hand-in-hand with gorgeous layouts that automatically adapt for different screen sizes.
* Gardening notes: On every plant card, make notes about how that plant works in your gardens. Notes sync between devices automatically.
* Extra content: Use more plant listings, regional gardening calendars, and even a special new section on the history of the book itself.
* Search: Need to find something quickly? Search the book, your notes, and even Google and Wikipedia, while barely lifting a finger.
* Personal notebook: Highlight text and bookmark cards with ease. It’s all saved to a notebook that lives inside your book for easy reference.
Bonus feature on iPad, iPad mini, PC & Mac:
* Notes: Make notes anywhere in the book that can even include web links. All notes are also saved to your notebook.”