On this 1976 episode of The Dinah Shore Show Micky and Davy introduce their new group – Dolenz, Jones, Boyce and Hart. They begin by singing a medley of Monkees tunes with Dinah, then move to the couch and chat about Micky and Davy’s participation in a recent charity tennis tournament in Africa where they played tennis with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton and Dean Paul (Dino) Martin Jr. Finally the guests participate in an impromptu spelling bee in honor of the other young guest on the show who had won that year’s spelling bee.
The conversation is vintage Hollywood celebrity of the 1970s. It wraps up with DJB&H admittedly lip synching to their new song – so that sound quality is low since the onstage microphones could not pick up the music that was piping in to the audience. It’s interesting to see that the more impromptu singing of the earlier medley – with Micky playing guitar for Pleasant Valley Sunday – was live and the full song at the end was not. Micky makes several jokes about how Hollywood works, again representing the fact that he was a child of the town moreso than any of the others.
Previously in Out of Research Vault:
- Micky and Peter on Nightwatch, 1986 [Video]
- Comedy Writer Treva Silverman Interview from the Emmy Foundation
- Micky Dolenz on Muppets Tonight
- Pre-Monkees Davy Jones sings “I’m Going to Buy Me A Dog” on Farmer’s Daughter TV Show
- Previously on CBS Sunday Morning: Davy Jones in 1993
- What is it? It’s the Monkeemobile! – August Chronicle, November 7, 2014
- Micky Dolenz & Peter Tork on Nightwatch – 1986
- The Monkees In Melbourne, Australia 1968 [Video]