I discovered this microphone through, of all things, an advertisement on Instagram?!? What?!?! A useful social media advertisement. If all ads could be as targeted to me as this one, I might not complain about them so much. That said, the ad immediately made me want to check our the Shure MV88. I am always on the lookout for useful New Media Gear and this looks to be another device you might want to add to your arsenal. As I don’t have one in-hand, I have included some links below to give you an overview of how people are responding to this mic and some real world usage examples.
One dislike that crops up for me is the inability to use it with a cover. I know, making a device that works with any of the thousands of covered out there would be nearly impossible, but I hate having to pull my phone out of its cover to use it and I miss the protection it provides when working. I also worry about external devices plugged into the Lightning port, as I am always afraid I am going to break the port accidentally.
Beyond those fairly small quibbles though, the audio samples from the mic sound good and it can help to keep your recording kit a bit smaller. You’ll want an iPhone with a larger storage capacity in order to insure you aren’t constantly filling it up with audio. My 16 GB iPhone 6 already complains about being full much too often and I am sure I would run into even larger issues if I were recording audio to it regularly.
Check out the Shure MV88 and tell me what you think!
* A portion of each sale from Amazon.com directly supports our blogs
Previously on New Media Gear:
- New Media Gear 23: KumbaCam 3 Axis SmartPhone Stabilizer
- Zoom iQ5B Condenser Microphone
- Blue Microphones Spark Digital Studio-Grade Condenser Microphone for Apple iPad and USB 2.0
- Fancierstudio 3000 Watt Digital Video Continuous Softbox Lighting Kit
- Headphone Recommendations
- Premium microphone power supply with 9v power
- Canon VIXIA HF R400 HD 53x Image Stabilized Optical Zoom Camcorder and 3.0 Touch LCD
- Blue Microphones Icicle XLR to USB Mic Converter/Mic Preamp
- Peter Lythgoe of Zzipp and Co. Podcast from Weymouth, UK (Part 3 of 3)
- Audio-Technica ATR2100-USB Cardioid Dynamic USB/XLR Microphone
- Peter Lythgoe of Zzipp and Co. Podcast from Weymouth, UK (Part 2 of 3)
- Charles McFall, Co-host “Success Freaks”
- Peter Lythgoe of Zzipp and Co. Podcast from Weymouth, UK (Part 1 of 3)
- Daniel J. Lewis of The Audacity to Podcast and more
- Brian Herbert of the Indy Autographs Podcast and Hoosier State Sports Show
- Dan Hughes of In The Treasure Corner and others
- Zoom H1 Handy Portable Digital Recorder
- Charley Hays
- Chuck Tomasi of Technorama
- Jack “Boom Goes The Dynamite” Heikle
- Mike Phillips from MikePhillips.me and Computers 2K Now podcast
- Clay Dugger of The Righteous Dude’s Dudecast
- Richard Cleveland of Naked Ape Productions
- Douglas E. Welch – Career Opportunities Podcast