A while ago, I came across this site, http://www.wishbookweb.com/, which hosts scanned copies of historical Christmas Catalogs from the 1940s-1980s. As I was flipping through the site, it brought back some great memories of my childhood. As a child, on the cold Winter nights in Ohio, I would often sit for hours flipping through the Christmas catalogs, dreaming of the neat things I might receive (but probably wouldn’t) for Christmas. For example, this is one toy I have remembered since my 2nd or 3rd Christmas in 66/67. Bizzy Buzz Buzz. The fact that I can remember the feeling of it in my hand after so many years proves the impact that childhood toys have upon us.
So, starting today, I am announcing
“The Wish Book – A Holiday Season Podcast Project”
to be released in November and December 2007.
Here is how you can participate…
* Visit The Wish Book site
* Find a toy or other object that you remember from your childhood
* Tell us a story about the toy or object
* In the end, the stories don’t have to be based on the catalogs. Tell us your favorite personal holiday story is fine, too
Try to include the following information in your recording:
* Your Name and Home Town Location i.e. Douglas E. Welch from New London, Ohio
* The catalog and page where you found you item (So that others can see a picture of it)
* Your story
Your story can be whatever you wish — a real-time discussion with siblings, “hey do you remember that? Didn’t you leave that out in the rain?” to amore structured “I remember this…” type of story. Let yourself go! Tell us what made this item so special to you.
If I receive enough submissions for The Wish Book, I will create a daily podcast running from Thanksgiving Day through until Christmas or New Years.
How to send in your audio or video?
You can send in your audio or video in a number of ways:
* Call our Listener Line at 818-804-5049 and leave up to a 3 minute story
* Record your audio or video and email it to email@example.com
* Mail me a CD or DVD with your story
* Email me a URL where I can download your audio or video
Please join me in this celebration of the Holiday Season by sharing your memories!