A clip from the presentation, “Transition is the New Normal” to OPEN (Outstanding Professionals Employment Network) Ventura County in Simi Valley, CA on March 4, 2016
When in transition, we often don’t know what the heck we want to do. Ok? And I often see people trapped in the situation of, the work they’ve been doing for 15, 20, 25 years never really was their favorite thing to do. It was presented to them at some point early on in their life — in their work career — and they simply kept doing it, but never really thought about “Do I actually enjoy doing this?” And there’s a reason for that. The old adage, you know, “well, it’s work. It shouldn’t be fun.” I don’t believe in that at all and here’s the simple reason about that. You can do — if your somewhat interested in your work, you can do good work. You might occasionally even do great work occasionally — every couple years. To me, you can never do your best work of you don’t have some other intrinsic interest in hat you’re doing. In some reward that you get from the work you do.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com