Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Close

Archive

Archive for the ‘Community’ Category

Investigate Alternative Career Paths from Transition is the New Normal 2016 [Audio] (1:10)

January 3rd, 2017 Comments off

A clip from the presentation, “Transition is the New Normal” to OPEN (Outstanding Professionals Employment Network) Ventura County in Simi Valley, CA on March 4, 2016

Watch this entire presentation

Investigate Alternative Career Paths from Transition is the New Normal 2016

Listen to this clip

Play

Transcript:

I worked in the corporate world for quite a long time. About 20 years before I figured that out and it’s square peg-round hole. You just don’t fit. It’s only through the help of some of my friends I met during that time, I started thinking about what I wanted — my wants, needs and desires — even if I couldn’t have them all right then, at least I could start thinking about them and once I started thinking more about myself, I quickly realized, “Oh, there’s a little dirt path that goes off here to the right.” Here’s the freeway of the career and there’s these little dirt paths or little stone roads that go off to the left and the right. There’s much more flexibility than you might ever think in the work world, but if you don’t know that you might want to go down that path, you’ll never explore it or even see it in most cases. You’ll simply focus on the freeway. The highway going up the main part of the road.

Links for items mentioned in this talk:

Help Support Career Opportunities!

Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com

Categories: Audio, Class, Community, Podcast, Seminar, Show, Video Tags:

Investigate Alternative Career Paths from Transition is the New Normal 2016 [Video] (1:10)

January 2nd, 2017 Comments off

A clip from the presentation, “Transition is the New Normal” to OPEN (Outstanding Professionals Employment Network) Ventura County in Simi Valley, CA on March 4, 2016

Investigate Alternative Career Paths from Transition is the New Normal 2016

Transcript:

I worked in the corporate world for quite a long time. About 20 years before I figured that out and it’s square peg-round hole. You just don’t fit. It’s only through the help of some of my friends I met during that time, I started thinking about what I wanted — my wants, needs and desires — even if I couldn’t have them all right then, at least I could start thinking about them and once I started thinking more about myself, I quickly realized, “Oh, there’s a little dirt path that goes off here to the right.” Here’s the freeway of the career and there’s these little dirt paths or little stone roads that go off to the left and the right. There’s much more flexibility than you might ever think in the work world, but if you don’t know that you might want to go down that path, you’ll never explore it or even see it in most cases. You’ll simply focus on the freeway. The highway going up the main part of the road.

Categories: Class, Community, Podcast, Seminar, Show, Video Tags:

No Single Career Path for Everyone from Transition is the New Normal 2016 [Audio] (1:01)

December 27th, 2016 Comments off

No Single Career Path for Everyone from Transition is the New Normal 2016 [Video] (1:01)

Listen to this clip

Play

Transcript:

In engaging with transition, one of the most important aspects is you have to engage in yourself. Again, in this fear, we can sometimes retreat from ourselves and bury ourselves in coffee or chocolate or alcohol or whatever our particular vice is. The fact is, the more you know about yourself, the more you will know about your life and your career. Too many of us simply look out on the established careers — the established professions — the established companies — the established jobs — and say, “I MUST follow that path. There is only one path through the maze and I have to follow that path.” Well, as I know personally myself — naaaah. I don’t fit. For a variety of reasons, I do not fit into that normal career path and it took me a long time to figure that out.

Categories: Audio, Class, Community, Podcast, Seminar, Show Tags:

No Single Career Path for Everyone from Transition is the New Normal 2016 [Video] (1:01)

December 26th, 2016 Comments off

Transcript:

In engaging with transition, one of the most important aspects is you have to engage in yourself. Again, in this fear, we can sometimes retreat from ourselves and bury ourselves in coffee or chocolate or alcohol or whatever our particular vice is. The fact is, the more you know about yourself, the more you will know about your life and your career. Too many of us simply look out on the established careers — the established professions — the established companies — the established jobs — and say, “I MUST follow that path. There is only one path through the maze and I have to follow that path.” Well, as I know personally myself — naaaah. I don’t fit. For a variety of reasons, I do not fit into that normal career path and it took me a long time to figure that out.

Categories: Class, Community, Podcast, Seminar, Show, Video Tags:

Fear and Action from Transition is the New Normal 2016 [Audio] (0:48)

September 20th, 2016 Comments off

Fear and Action from Transition is the New Normal 2016

Listen to this clip

Play

Transcript:

You have to really think hard for yourself and say “Is there where I want to go? Is this truly a good path for me to follow?” And if you do that, though, you’ll be much happier with the decisions you make. You may be a little stressed out. I totally understand that, because thinking hard about stuff like this can make you a little bit fearful — a little bit stressed, — a little bit afraid — but at the end of the process, as you go through the process, you’ll find that you’re very much more confident in the decisions you have made, simply because you have thought them through more carefully. You haven’t just let them be — as the French say, fait accompli. “Here, here it is. Do that!” You’ve, at least, thought about the process involved in doing that transition. 

Categories: Audio, Class, Community, Seminar, Show, Speaking Tags:

Fear and Action from Transition is the New Normal 2016 [Video] (0:48)

September 19th, 2016 Comments off

Fear and Action from Transition is the New Normal 2016

Transcript:

You have to really think hard for yourself and say “Is there where I want to go? Is this truly a good path for me to follow?” And if you do that, though, you’ll be much happier with the decisions you make. You may be a little stressed out. I totally understand that, because thinking hard about stuff like this can make you a little bit fearful — a little bit stressed, — a little bit afraid — but at the end of the process, as you go through the process, you’ll find that you’re very much more confident in the decisions you have made, simply because you have thought them through more carefully. You haven’t just let them be — as the French say, fait accompli. “Here, here it is. Do that!” You’ve, at least, thought about the process involved in doing that transition. 

Categories: Class, Community, Seminar, Show, Speaking, Video Tags:

Choice and Transition from Transition is the New Normal 2016 [Audio] (1:02)

September 13th, 2016 Comments off

Choice and Transition from Transition is the New Normal 2016

Listen to this clip

Play

Transcript:

Engage in your transitions and choose your transitions. You don’t just willy-nilly from job to job — from career to career — from interest to interest. You make carefully considered decisions. There is a point where people begin to think ” I HAVE to do this. I HAVE to do that, but I want to do this” and I often tell them, “If you want to do this, there are a million reasons NOT to do that. You need to find the one reason to do it.” Because that’s your reason. That’s your personal reason to do something and you’ve got to go out and search for that. Sometime you find it. Sometimes you don’t, but you have to take control over those decisions and those thoughts. Don’t let other people simply say, “Oh, here’s a job. Take it. Here’s a life. Take it. Ok, you’re moving to Wisconsin. Take it!”

Categories: Audio, Class, Community, Education, Seminar, Show, Speaking Tags:

Choice and Transition from Transition is the New Normal 2016 [Video] (1:02)

September 12th, 2016 Comments off

Choice and Transition from Transition is the New Normal 2016

Transcript:

Engage in your transitions and choose your transitions. You don’t just willy-nilly from job to job — from career to career — from interest to interest. You make carefully considered decisions. There is a point where people begin to think ” I HAVE to do this. I HAVE to do that, but I want to do this” and I often tell them, “If you want to do this, there are a million reasons NOT to do that. You need to find the one reason to do it.” Because that’s your reason. That’s your personal reason to do something and you’ve got to go out and search for that. Sometime you find it. Sometimes you don’t, but you have to take control over those decisions and those thoughts. Don’t let other people simply say, “Oh, here’s a job. Take it. Here’s a life. Take it. Ok, you’re moving to Wisconsin. Take it!”

Categories: Class, Community, Education, Seminar, Show, Speaking, Video Tags:

No one cares about your career as much as you from Transition is the New Normal 2016 [Audio] (0:53)

August 30th, 2016 Comments off

No one cares about your career as much as you from Transition is the New Normal 2016

Listen to this clip

Transcript:

Everyone else too much worried about their own life and their own career. And again, they can help you, but they will never care as much about it and when you give power to them well, you’re reducing the effect your going to have in the world because you’ve given power to someone who really isn’t as committed as you are. What’s the joke about breakfast? In breakfast, the egg is interested and the pig is committed. The bacon is committed right? So, you have to realize that and again, take control of your own life. if you don’t manage you’re own life and career, there are plenty of people who will gladly do it for you. Your spouse will do it for you. Your family will do it for you. Your children will do it for you. Your boss will do it for you. Whatever. Your career consultant will do it for you. People love to control other people’s lives. Just like they like spending other people’s money. Which I enjoy quite a bit. 

Categories: Audio, Class, Community, Education, Seminar, Show, Speaking Tags:

No one cares about your career as much as you from Transition is the New Normal 2016 [Video] (0:53)

August 29th, 2016 Comments off

No one cares about your career as much as you from Transition is the New Normal 2016

Transcript:

Everyone else too much worried about their own life and their own career. And again, they can help you, but they will never care as much about it and when you give power to them well, you’re reducing the effect your going to have in the world because you’ve given power to someone who really isn’t as committed as you are. What’s the joke about breakfast? In breakfast, the egg is interested and the pig is committed. The bacon is committed right? So, you have to realize that and again, take control of your own life. if you don’t manage you’re own life and career, there are plenty of people who will gladly do it for you. Your spouse will do it for you. Your family will do it for you. Your children will do it for you. Your boss will do it for you. Whatever. Your career consultant will do it for you. People love to control other people’s lives. Just like they like spending other people’s money. Which I enjoy quite a bit. 

Categories: Class, Community, Education, Seminar, Show, Speaking, Video Tags:
Google+