A clip from the presentation, “Transition is the New Normal” to OPEN (Outstanding Professionals Employment Network) Ventura County in Simi Valley, CA on March 4, 2016
Taking that different drive to work. That’s another creativity exercise. They’ll tell people sometimes, “You’re thinking is kind of stuck?Go to work a different way that you’ve never gone before.” Turn off Waze and pick which way you want to go and just randomly go somewhere. Sometimes, if I’m not in a time crunch. I’m coming back from a client or something like that, I’ll just drive down the streets that I’ve never driven down before. There are streets in the San Fernando Valley — I’ve lived here 30 years — I’ve never driven down before and sometimes it’s just like “ahh, let’s take a right here.” It keeps your thinking fresh. It keeps that transition “muscle” — the flexibility muscle — toned. We know if we don’t use a physical muscle it atrophies and it makes it all the more harder to use it down the road. Same thing, to me, happens with transition and change. The less we change — the less we engage with change — the less comfortable we are with it.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com
* A portion of each sale from Amazon.com directly supports our blogs
** Many of these books may be available from your local library. Check it out!