Finding the Right Fit For You, Not Others from Using the Career Compass to Find Your Work and Career [Audio] (1:04)
Read the book
Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
…And we all get presented with opportunities and face challenges like that every day, where we are just — there are too many options so it helps to have some way of figuring out where that opportunity fits on that scale and simply what we want. Because in all the talking I’ve had with people over the years and all the clients I’ve talked to and all of the column feedback I’ve gotten, podcast feedback I’ve gotten — 99% of it comes down to the fact that they just aren’t allowing themselves to think about it. They choose the default, cliché, corporate, what their parents thought, whatever answer of the period and if they try to go against that it causes them angst. It’s like “How do I not do this? How do I not do what everyone says I should be doing” Well because it’s not right for you and that’s the important thing you have to learn. If it’s not right for you. How cliché can it be. It’s the square peg in the round hole. You’re just not going to fit.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com
* A portion of each sale from Amazon.com directly supports our blogs
** Many of these books may be available from your local library. Check it out!