A Methodology For Decision Making from Using the Career Compass to Find Your Work and Career [Video] (0:56)
Read the book
Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
Having some sort of little rubric to plug things into can really help your thinking. I liken this to a mind map — how many people use mind mapping? Gosh, it’s fallen out of favor. It’s one of those things you either love or hate. I come and go with it. It’s sort of like that. It’s basically just a blank form that you can start to fill in and start to trigger other thoughts. It can increase your thinking by quite a large amount. So, when an opportunity comes to you, please, come back here. Evaluate it against the compass. It’s going to tell you right away actually once you break out what that opportunity entails. It’s going to be very clear immediately — “Ok. No no, it’s got too many bads or it’s really good. Maybe I should investigate this further.” And that helps a lot because it helps to get around that analysis paralysis I talked about earlier. That having too many options. Too many choices.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com
* A portion of each sale from Amazon.com directly supports our blogs
** Many of these books may be available from your local library. Check it out!