Where Do You Want to Go? from Using the Career Compass to Find Your Work and Career [Audio] (1:00)
Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
I saw a quote today that just stuck with me from Alice in Wonderland.
She’s talking to the caterpillar and says, “Where should I go? Which road should I take?”
And the Caterpillar says, “I don’t know. Where you do want to go?”
And Alice says, “I don’t know.”
And the Caterpillar says. “Well, then, take either road, ” because if you don’t know where you’re going, you’re never going to get there.
That’s what happens in a lot of people’s careers. So, we take the long laundry list — and I would actually like you guys to do this at some point. I think it’s important for people to do, especially whether you’re struggling or not — sometimes it can illuminate something perhaps you even haven’t internalized or allowed to admit to yourself of an interest that you might have. So, I hope that by stepping through the process with you here today, you’ll have the ability to take this home and maybe try it out yourself.
So, I use the default North American default that good things are always to the North. Our course is always going to be the North. We’re trying to go Due North.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com
* A portion of each sale from Amazon.com directly supports our blogs
** Many of these books may be available from your local library. Check it out!