List Your Wants, Needs and Desires from Using the Career Compass to Find Your Work and Career [Audio] (0:58)
Watch this entire talk
Using the Career Compass to Find Your Work and Career with Douglas E. Welch
Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
Do you like to work with people? What age of people? Do you like to work with kids? Do you like to work with people your same age? Do you like to work with older people? Where do you want to work? Geographically? Do you want to work in LA? Do you want to work somewhere up in the mountains in Denver, Colorado? You want to work in the Plains. You want live on a South Sea island somewhere and WiFi your work in wherever it needs to be. Think at much lower level about what you enjoy? Do you enjoy music? What type of music? Do you… start to list all these things, because it’s in those ideas, those wants, needs and desires — I call them — that, for me, the key to career exists.
So after that big laundry list of stuff I had him write out, it came to me that there is a way then, that we had to classify what he wrote in some way. Right? You have to figure out, for each item he wrote down, where — is it a good thing or a bad thing? Is it a want or is it not? And that’s where the idea of the compass came up.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com