A clip from the presentation, “Transition is the New Normal” to OPEN (Outstanding Professionals Employment Network) Ventura County in Simi Valley, CA on March 4, 2016
I worked in the corporate world for quite a long time. About 20 years before I figured that out and it’s square peg-round hole. You just don’t fit. It’s only through the help of some of my friends I met during that time, I started thinking about what I wanted — my wants, needs and desires — even if I couldn’t have them all right then, at least I could start thinking about them and once I started thinking more about myself, I quickly realized, “Oh, there’s a little dirt path that goes off here to the right.” Here’s the freeway of the career and there’s these little dirt paths or little stone roads that go off to the left and the right. There’s much more flexibility than you might ever think in the work world, but if you don’t know that you might want to go down that path, you’ll never explore it or even see it in most cases. You’ll simply focus on the freeway. The highway going up the main part of the road.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com