Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
So I try to shake things up a little bit — bust things up a little bit — and also, through things I have discovered in my own career — everything I’m going to talk about is because I’ve gone through it and I’ve learned from it. I try to tease them through the process into a new way of saying “Let’s not think about the externals of your career — about the boss, the company, the resumes, whatever — let’s talk about what you really want.” Because I firmly believe, you can do OK work at a job you don’t really love. You might even do good work on occasion. For me, though, you’re never, ever going to do great work unless you have some deeper interest in what you’re doing.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!
Learn more about your career with these books from Amazon.com