Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
Now, for me, there are two basic challenges of having a career these days. And they’re kind of at different ends of the spectrum and I’m going to touch on both of them today. The two challenges that I see in any career are, first of all, figuring out what you want to do and especially in this day and age — myself being a perfect example — people ask me, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” I never figured out he answer to that question. I just tried to to do what I found most interesting and most useful in the world and have developed a career around that. The other challenge is, once you’ve decide what you want to do for a career, which, by the way, that will change over time, inevitably, but once your figure out basically what you want to do — how do you build that career? How do you go from this good job to that better job to this great job to an entrepreneurship to whatever you want to do? How do you move through those stages in a way that is different from the world our parents grew up with.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!