The Career World is Changing from Using the Career Compass to Find Your Work and Career [Audio] (1:19)
Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
I’ve have given and talked about his topic — these two topics actually tonight – quite a few times. I have been working, started out in high-tech, became a freelancer, eventually moved into new media and podcasting — all that time writing about careers amongst a bunch of other things and everything kind of dovetailed for me as I freelanced. My career work started to dovetail with my podcasting work. It started to dovetail with my new media work and so on an so forth. I sort of generated this career out of a verity of interests that I had and that is not the normal way most people develop careers. Normally, you have that typical — we think — that typical stair step– I’ll get this job and I’ll get the next job and I’ll get the next job and what I quickly found out for myself — and for a lot of people like me — that really isn’t normal, especially in this day and age — in the 21st Century it’s very, very abnormal to actually have a career like that. Even within corporate bodies now, corporate bodies are flattening. They’re changing their makeup. You have someone like Zappos who simply said we’re not going to have management and 18% of their staff left, because they could not deal with the concept of not having a traditional management structure. That’s the world we’re going into.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!