Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
Now, right now, beyond having your own blog and your own web site, There are certain properties that are just hot. They’ve got the heat right now. Facebook is one of them. Facebook is a site –all these services have their own kind of vibe, collection of people there. For me, Facebook is mainly family and friends. it’s not really business-oriented at all, although I do have Facebook pages for each of my public facing — each of my blogs, for example, has it’s Facebook page, which goes along with it. That’s more of business, public-facing, type thing, but for my day-to-day Facebook use, its friends and family. I use it to communicate with my wife’s relatives in Sicily and other friends we have scattered all over the world. Something like, LinkedIn, which you were talking about earlier. Very button down, very professional and very, you kno, these are professional friends that I am networking with or acquaintances that I am networking with and so that can be another set of friends there. The reason you use multiples of these — so, let me see Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, if you like Tumble, if that’s your thing. There’s a variety of other services. Honestly, you will find those that work best for you or that feel best to you.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!