Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS
A Clip from Two Challenges in Building the Career You Deserve with Douglas E. Welch.
Watch the entire presentation.
Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
If we do a good job of telling people “What we do and how well we do it” opportunities can come to us, because when they need someone with your skills, they go, “Gosh. We really need an accountant. Oh, you know, doesn’t such and such do accounting? Let’s call them.” Before they post a job — before they make a job listing — before they do anything else, they think of you. That’s where you want to be. You want to be on the tip of everyone’s tongues. The only way you can do that is by telling people “what you do and how well you do it.” Ok. that’s the only way that that can happen. The tools we use these days are , I am sure, known to you all. I heard someone talking about not having a Facbook account. We’re going to talk about why, but here are, what I call, my Career Prescriptions. And they will be scary and you will run, fleeing from the room when I say them.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!