Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
…and, of course, as you go through this concept of thinking about what you like and what you don’t like, Well, you’re going to end up with thing you don’t like. I hate bureaucracy. I hate forms. I hate all sorts of silliness like that. All sorts of decisions that are made merely because someone thinks they have to be made. I don’t like to be indoors a lot. so I’ll put that down here. I like to be outdoors. I like get some sunshine and be out in the weather a bit. So, these are things I’m doing now that I don’t like. I don’t like — trying to think of other things I dont’ like doing. I tried to clear as many of those out of my career as possible lately. Yes, exactly. Perhaps you don’t like working with young children. My wife discovered then when she went to student teach. She got her education degree and had to go off and do student teaching right? For that last year of college experience and she very quickly realized that “Oh, I can’t work with young kids. No, I feel so sorry for them. Oh Bobby doesn’t have good shoes” and she just wants to mother them not be a teacher to them.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!