Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
The first thing we are going to attack in a little more detail, “What do you want to do?” And this concept grew out of a discussion I had with one of our fellow co-chairs. He was probably turning 50 – this is about 10 or so years ago — probably turning 50 and was running his own computer consultancy, sales, business and was just at a crossroads. He said, “You know, this is fun, but you know where is it really going? Do I really want to do this anymore?” We just had this long discussion and I said to him, “Tell you want. Let’s try this? Write down everything you like to do and I don’t mean ‘I like to go on sales calls, I like to work with Macintosh computers, no. Think about things you like to do. ‘I like to be outdoors. I like to be indoors. I like to work with kids. I don’t like to work with kids.'” Thinking more in the generalities of what you might do. Because what I find is that people get way too involved in the specifics of their career. “I am going to be an accountant.”
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!