Douglas E. Welch (http://douglasewelch.com) presents to the class Career Development – Theories and Techniques at Pepperdine Graduate School of Education & Psychology taught by fellow CareerCamp Co-Chair, Danielle Gruen
The two biggest challenges are deciding what you want to do as a career and then building the career you deserve once you decide.
I discuss the Career Compass method of discovering your career wants, needs and desires and then using various social media tools to show people “What you do and how well you do it”
There are so many people in your lives — and the lives of people you deal with — who will love, gladly manage their career for them. You boss will manage your career for you. Your wife or your husband will manage your career for you. Your co-workers, your peers, everyone — if you don’t manage your career — don’t worry — there is always going to be someone out there who will gladly manage it for you. “You know, you should apply for that position over there”, because that’s where that person wants you or needs you. It has no bearing of 1. whether you fit there or 2. Whether you actually want to do it, but again, if you don’t take action. If you don’t take control, someone else will gladly do it for you.
Links for items mentioned in this talk:
- Video: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Audio: Career Compass: Finding Your Career North from CareerCampSCV 2012
- Career Compass Kindle Book
- Video Archives: Career Prescriptions at Tuesdays with Transitioners
- Video: CareerCamp: New Unconference Methods for Helping People Build the Career They Deserve with Douglas E. Welch
Help Support Career Opportunities!
- Buy Douglas’photography products available from http://DouglasEWelch.com/buy
- Use our Amazon Affiliate Code by starting your shopping at http://welchwrite.com/bookstore
- Consider a donation via PayPal to support more career posts, podcasts and videos!