Another homemade meal during our isolation. Tonight was a lovely stew made with Italian Sausage, green lentils, kale, and some sliced carrots thrown in for good measure.
Lentil & Sausage Stew
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale (or other leafy green)
- 1 cup dried green or red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound sausage, removed from casing (We also used some leftover smoked sausage, sliced and then quartered into bite size pieces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed chili flakes (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- handful of shredded cheese (optional)
1. Brown sausage in non-stick pan
2. Reduce heat to medium and deglaze the pan with the 1/4 cup of the chicken stock, add the garlic, chili flakes, paprika and cayenne pepper.
3. Toss in the greens and broth, heat until greens are wilted.
(Alternately, add kale near end of cooking for a different texture)
4. Add lentils and water, bring it back to a simmer and continue to cook for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally and season as needed with salt, pepper, chili powder, etc. to your liking. I found a pinch or two of chili powder added a nice touch with the paprika.
5. Serve, topping with shredded cheese, if desired