TV Worth Watching is a new series highlighting my favorite television viewing. I am a big fan of UK television, so you are sure to see many UK shows and movies featured here. — Douglas
In the fictional town of New Burbage, legendary theatrical madman Geoffrey Tennant returns to the New Burbage Theatre Festival, the site of his greatest triumph and most humiliating failure, to assume the artistic directorship after the sudden death of his mentor, Oliver Welles. When Geoffrey arrives he finds that Oliver is still there, in spirit anyway, and with his guidance (and often in spite of it) Geoffrey attempts to reconcile with his past while wrestling the festival back from the marketing department. Despite a bitter leading lady, a clueless leading man, and a scheming general manager, he manages to stage a remarkable production of Hamlet — the play that drove him mad.
Rosanne and I discovered this Canadian series when it was mentioned in the review of the new Mozarts in the Jungle series being produced by Amazon. Perhaps it is because of our history (and love) of the theater and our experiences there, but we have adored the show. We are currently watching the final 2006 season. WE have been laughing so hard at points that our son has asked us “What crazy show are you watching?” several times.
It seems to us that the writers know a but of out the craziness that surrounds live theater, actors and especially productions of Shakespeare. Add in the machinations of arts funding, sponsors and crazy directors and you have a fine mix of craziness and art. We are greatly enjoying the show and will be sad to complete this final season of episodes. It will be like the closing night of productions we have been involved with, I am sure.
- The Art of Gothic: Britain’s Midnight Hour from BBC4
- Murdoch Mysteries (Canada)
- Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries (Australia)
- A Very British Renaissance
- Death in Paradise
- Pilgrimage with Simon Reeve
- All Creatures Great and Small
- BBC Who were the Greeks? (3 episodes)
- Shock and Awe – The Story of Electricity
- Time Traveller’s Guide to Elizabethan England
- Mechanical Marvels Clockwork Dreams
- Springwatch 2013
- Gordon Ramsay’s Ultimate Cookery Course
- Hamlet starring David Tennant
- I, Claudius
- Foyle’s War
- Wreck-It Ralph
- The Story of Science from BBC (6 parts)
- Inspector Montalbano (Il Commissario Montalbano) – Italy