Sometimes it is the simplest days that can be the best. After doing some work this morning, we headed out to Santa Clarita to visit with some friends. There was talk, catching up, a simple dinner and then an evening spent lounging in the pool.
Many people might see this as staid and boring, but for us this is a great way to spend an evening. We spend a lot of time trying to do a lot of things and forcing ourselves to slow down and get away from work can be critical to our general well being. If you don’t build in some pressure release valves, pressure can build up to dangerous levels and cause a crash that is both unproductive and difficult to recover from.
Sure, we could go out drinking, spend large amounts of money on expensive meals or trips, but we find it far more logical to hang out with friends — for free — share a nice bottle of wine and stare at the stars. You have to remember that you don’t have to go very far just to “get away from it all.” You best vacation might be in your own backyard, or that of a neighbor, or a friend.
We can all be tied up in the idea that our vacations, our cars, our clothes or even our lives must be dramatic, somehow. We live at the extremes of existence so much, we can’t appreciate the simpler joys of life and living. Paying a lot for a bottle of wine doesn’t make it better, necessarily, only more expensive. A cheap bottle of wine shared with friends will always hold more joy than an expensive bottle emptied alone. Don’t lose your best experiences in expenses. Take joy in what you have and who you have. These are the things that really matter — and often the simplest to achieve.
Tonight’s post is probably a bit short. I am tired from swimming and hoping to sleep well after all our activity. I am tapping this out on my iPhone as I lie in bed and as soon as it is posted, I am going to enjoy yet another of the simple joys of life — a good night’s sleep after a fun day.
Previously on End of the Day:
- Capture the good work you do – End of the Day for June 28, 2014
- Let’s focus on the good – End of the Day for June 27, 2014
- …and soon it will be Friday night — End of the Day for June 26, 2014
- My desk at the End of the Day for June 25, 2014
- Don’t make the same mistake twice – End of the Day for June 24, 2014
- It’s tiring to be a “man” sometimes – End of the Day for June 23, 2014
- You’ve got to have fun sometimes! – End of the Day for June 22, 2014
- Update all the things! – End of the Day for June 21, 2014
- Doing work, making videos or both. It can be hard to decide – End of the Day for June 20, 2014
- “Drop back and punt” technology troubleshooting – End of the Day for June 19, 2014
- Finding your rhythm – End of the Day for June 18, 2014
- …and the day flies by in Flow – End of the Day for June 17, 2014
- A little but of this. A little bit of that. – End of the Day for June 16, 2014
- Don’t ask questions you don’t really want to know the answer to – End of the Day for June 15, 2014
- In vino veritas and in conversation, truth- End of the Day for June 14, 2014
- Habits are made to be broken – End of the Day for June 13, 2014
- A week of events — End of the Day for June 11, 2014
- Sometimes I am such the “wife” in this relationship – End of the Day for June 10, 2014
- Tiring to be an adult sometimes – End of the Day for June 9, 2014
- Is it too late? – End of the Day for June 8, 2014
- When spouses travel it makes for a Sad Panda – End of the Day for June 7, 2014
- Noise and the absence of noise – End of the Day for June 6, 2014
- Sunsetting – End of the Day for June 5, 2014
- Summer is finally here! – End of the Day for June 4, 2014
- My Favorite Musicals – End of the Day for June 3, 2014
- Going without cable television — if not cable Internet – End of the Day for June 2, 2014
- Is anyone out there listening? – End of the Day for June 1, 2014
- End of the Day for May 2014
- End of the Day for April 2014
- End of the Day for March 2014
- End of the Day for February 2014
- End of the Day for January 2014