There are days when you can get very tired of being an adult. I don’t say this just because I have 16-year-old son, either. There are far too many times in my life when I feel that even other adults are acting more like children.
You see it everywhere, really. Broken commitments. Broken relationships. Poor communication. People who can’t seem to do their jobs — or simply don’t do them. It can leave your average person feeling like the lone adult amongst a room of kindergarteners.
All is can get a bit tiring, of course. Sometimes you want to be able to rely on other people to do what needs to be done, so that you can do what you need to do. Instead, you spend your time compensating for them, correcting them and, in some cases, cursing them.
At these times, I am fond of saying to others — my son included — “I don’t ask that you make my life easier, only that you don’t make it any more difficult. Yet, still, there are those people who cannot figure out what that means. They continue to actively make my life more difficult. While intellectually I know that they probably don’t mean to do it, sometimes it seems like they take a perverse joy in seeing just how difficult they can make things.
That is exactly the type of behavior that causes me to write essays like this. I’m sure you to know people who tend to make your life more difficult. They always seem to have some crisis, some event, some need, at exactly the wrong time for you. That said, there’s not a lot you can do about these types of people. They have always existed and they will always exist. All you can do is learn to cope.
Of course, I try to live by that rule too. I don’t actively go about trying to big peoples lives more difficult, although that can be the result of my actions on occasion. We all have the capability of being a crazy maker at times. The most important thing, though, is to try and limit those times as much as we can. Again, we should all try to live the rule that we may not be able to make others lives easier, but we can certainly try to not make them any more difficult.
Take some time away from the crazy makers in your life whenever you can. It’s not being selfish, it’s merely practicing self-preservation. After all, you can’t help others if your life is also a mess. You need to be stable so you can give others a firm place to stand.
Previously on End of the Day:
- Is it too late? – End of the Day for June 8, 2014
- When spouses travel it makes for a Sad Panda – End of the Day for June 7, 2014
- Noise and the absence of noise – End of the Day for June 6, 2014
- Sunsetting – End of the Day for June 5, 2014
- Summer is finally here! – End of the Day for June 4, 2014
- My Favorite Musicals – End of the Day for June 3, 2014
- Going without cable television — if not cable Internet – End of the Day for June 2, 2014
- Is anyone out there listening? – End of the Day for June 1, 2014
- End of the Day for May 2014
- End of the Day for April 2014
- End of the Day for March 2014
- End of the Day for February 2014
- End of the Day for January 2014